Module Four: Benefits & Challenges (and bears? Oh my!)



What did I learn?

"Research has indicated that teachers are most likely to be satisfied when they are provided with flexibility in what, how, when, and where they teach" (Borup).

Seems like student-centered learning should also apply to teacher-centered teaching? One of the best parts of my teaching at my school is that I have never felt pressured into teaching anything. Other than making sure my English 11 students were prepared for their SOL Reading and Writing exams, I have been free to pick (within approved texts, obviously!) what I want to use in my curriculum. Every department chair, Assistant Principal, and Principal at Westfield has allowed the English department in general to teach as it sees fit. I think if I have to go lock-step with other English teachers and plow through The Scarlet Letter I would lose my very few remaining marbles! (I taught it once- NEVER AGAIN!)


Oh Hollywood, you make everything just perfect!

"described one teacher who explained that the added flexibility made it difficult to disconnect from work and find a “healthy balance in her personal life” (p. 111). As a result, anytime/ anywhere instructional models can also decrease teacher satisfaction if teachers fail to establish boundaries between their personal and professional lives " (Borup).

Work-life "balance" in a virtual teaching world

FULL-TIME ONLINE TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH IS REALLY, REALLY HARD!!!!!
I am entering my twentieth year of teaching high school English, and other than my student teaching, I have never worked harder, or longer, on my classes. I am working ten-eleven hours a day, five days a week, and putting in another three-four hours every Saturday and Sunday. It is impossible to turn away and unplug. I have email on my phone, and the Schoology app on my phone, and Google Drive with my FCPS log-in at the ready so I can re-share the Google Forms, or re-link the Slides in the class, or just respond to a kid who is already struggling with the technology side and the content side and the emotional well-being side and the fear of Darth Cheeto destroying their country...I've got the COVID insomnia because my stress is so high...


I AM EXHAUSTED AND IT AINT EVEN OCTOBER!!!!!!!



"online asynchronous communication enables higher levels of interaction than are possible in a face-to-face environment where there is limited class time for comments" (Borup).

So, to be honest, I'm still waiting for this one...I think part of the inability to have the asynchronous connection moments comes from the structure of the school day in FCPS this year. Professor Borup's research was conducted at a fully online academy where it seems most instruction was asynchronous connectivity: learner-materials, learner-learner, and learner-teacher. I am lucky enough to know that I am 100% online for the entire school year, and all of my students chose to be 100% online for the entire school year. I HATE the restrictive format of an 8:10-2:55 school day for online instruction! For those of us in a "committed relationship" to full year online, we should have flexibility of pace, space, place to have truly student-centered online learning! I know I was just whining about, "Oh poor me has no free time," but I think having an inherently flexible schedule rather than an inherently inflexible schedule would lead to more meaningful engagement with my learners, increased satisfaction in my role as a teacher, and greater freedom to manage my (and my students') time commitments.

"Teachers at an online charter high school believed that the visual and verbal cues present in synchronous video communication allowed them to more quickly develop close relationships but found that students tended to reject their invitations to communicate via video, preferring instead to communicate via text" (Borup).

I must say I was completely shocked when I informally polled my classes about the use of discussion boards. I have used text-based online discussion boards a teeny-tiny little bit, but they have not been very successful (probably about 85% my own fault, but let's not keep score, shall we?). I asked the kids if they would prefer text-based online discussion boards where they expectation would be a minimum of 3-5 well-written sentences, or using audio/video posting of 2-3 minutes. Without fail, NO ONE wanted audio/video posting. In each class, there would be 1 or 2 students who said they did not care, but EVERYONE else was VEHEMENTLY against audio/video postings! I was shocked! I really thought kids would NOT want to write if given a choice!

"To have a fulfilling experience, teachers must have a sense of personal achievement on the aspects of their job that they value" (Borup).

This is going to be my biggest personal challenge as this is the biggest structural challenge of online teaching- how do I make meaningful connections with my students so they know that I am a person who cares deeply for each and every one of them, not just as a student, but as a person? In my trailer- err, my learning cottage, I can joke, and make fun of myself (pretty easy target when you are an over-weight, balding, getting older by the second white dude!) and the kids see that I do not take myself too seriously. But they also see (and feel, probably) that when they are speaking, no one else gets to talk and I am 100% locked in on what they have to say. They see me actively engaged in connecting with them; they laugh when the bell rings and I give them "air hugs" and tell them that I will miss them, but they know that I mean it; they feel a sense of relief when they walk in the door, and flop into one of my comfy couches, or cushy chairs, or walk over to my desk and help themselves to my generous buffet of granola bars, fruit snacks, and even share an occasional protein bar from my personal meal stash. My kiddies told me on a regular basis about how they actually feel good about being in my classroom, even if they haven't done the assignments (I guess that's good? Maybe a little to Chill-Bill as my wife likes to call me?). I think I wouldn't feel so exhausted and slightly bitter about working so much if I could feel those connections being made. Right now, though, it just feels a little lonely in cyberspace...



 

"teachers who lack technological skills may not be able to effectively teach online, making it difficult for them to have a fulfilling experience. As a result, administrators should take care to provide the technological support teachers and students require" (Borup).

I 1,000,000% applaud Dr. Brabrand and my school's administrative team (esp our SBTS, Margaret Sisler!) for committing time and resources to help teachers prepare as best as they could for the onslaught of challenges of full-time online (real) teaching, as opposed to the spring where pretty much everyone I spoke to was trying to fake-it-til-they-could-make-it. Now, that being said, it is still really hard!


Why is it important?

I know Louis is on the full-time creeper list, but this is pretty funny.


Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Why? Because we are all trying to climb Maslow's stupid frickin' pyramid!



Why? Because kids need the best possible learning opportunities to maximize the best possible learning outcomes so society and the economy can continue to improve.

Why? What are you- an English teacher????

Ok, so maybe it is important because despite my unhappiness with the strictures of the FCPS online learning environment, I am mostly enjoying online teaching.  Why do I mostly enjoy it?  I like the flexibility of it.  I like that I am challenging myself in very new and difficult ways to become a better teacher.  Why do I not enjoy it fully?  I miss the kids.  Why does that matter?  Because the connection with them is what drives me to push myself for them.  Why?  Because they need it.  I needed it when I was their age and I was extraordinarily lucky to have gotten support from so many wonderful, passionate, devoted teachers who really cared about me as a person and a student and I've got to pay it forward.

Ok?????

How can I use this information?

I can continue to be reflective about the needs of students in an unfamiliar learning environment.
I can continue to be reflective about my needs as a teacher in an unfamiliar learning environment.
I can continue to be reflective about how to do things better.
I can continue to seek out resources, tools, ideas, mentors, to help me make learning meaningful and a high school English classroom to kids who need to be able to read, write, communicate, and think carefully and critically, and while supporting their psycho-social development as emerging human young adults.
I'm sure I forgot something, but that's some pretty big stuff.
Oh yeah, and bears-






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro