Module Three: Who's teaching online? I thought he was on first base!
What did I learn?
To make sure you can check all my boxes, here is my Padlet. And if that doesn't work, here is my Padlet-
https://padlet.com/wvalexanderg1/xy4lzk4b7x23m0ka
Quick thought on that- SO much easier for me to use, process, and access (if that makes sense) than the popplet! I hope it is ok that I switched tools. I've never used Padlet before, so good to learn new tools!
On to the deep thoughts...Oh the stories of homeless students popping opening their shiny MacBooks everywhere makes my heart skip a beat in sheer joy! Thank god I have my pacemaker to keep me from keeling over.
I know it is important to examine biases, and understand viewpoints individuals may have and why they possess those ideas, but it is difficult for me to believe these magical places exist. I mean, they must exist somewhere, but my experience (BIAS) is different. Highly motivated students who are able to maintain discipline and focus and effectively self-regulate can indeed be well served via online learning options. I believe that there are places where students are allowed to learn online at their own pace, in their own place, engaged in meaningful inquiry. I believe that there are online learning options that offer students a breadth of options not available to them based on their geography. I believe that online learning can afford students with disabilities or deficits an opportunity to show mastery of content in a profound way that might not otherwise occur for them. I believe that is what online learning should be all about.
What I have seen, and Archambault documents it, is teachers being assigned very large classes because it is cheap and easy to have 40 students in an online session. I have seen teachers using cookie-cutter curriculum because it is what is the simplest (probably cheapest) option to provide materials to students. I am seeing in this first week of my own online teaching an expectation to take online learning and smoosh (it is an industry term) it in to the framework of a traditional school day because that is the simplest way to do it.
I am not a TOTAL Eeyore. I did take away some hope from Archambault.
My experience with online teaching can be described as...challenging.
I don’t believe that the role of an online teacher has been
defined at this time. For example, high school teachers are often
expected to carry student loads far and above that that would be
allowed in a traditional classroom––especially at the high school
level––because the technology can replace certain roles a traditional
teacher fills. However, individualized communication with these students
is disproportionate to the time a traditional teacher spends in
communication."
So even though this teacher was clearly frustrated by the super-sized class, this person identifies the problem- how is an "online teacher" going to be defined? I think a challenge facing online learning in this immediate moment is the expectation for teachers to do what they have always done, just do it online. However, we have been strongly discouraged from having individual video conferencing with our students, but we are told it is vital to online learning to get to know our students. There are only so many times a high school kid is going to respond politely to being asked what kind of ice cream they would be and how does that represent who they are...
Why is it important?
How can I use this information?




Your critical analysis is necessary. I also appreciate how you still find ways that these resources on the best of online learning can inform your practice. I don't think I've heard a better line than, "Oh the stories of homeless students popping opening their shiny MacBooks everywhere makes my heart skip a beat in sheer joy!" March 12, 2020, was the start of my weekly 6 am Zoom meetings with Greta, my colleague in Norway. That's when she told me she was tasked by the Norwegian National Directorate of Education to find out what schools were doing about vulnerable populations. She asked me what we were proposing to do in the US about vulnerable students. I stalled by asking her to define 'vulnerable." Of course we didn't have a plan for non-vulnerable students at that time, only to close schools for two weeks while we thought about it. Our subsequent study did define "vulnerable populations" and included homeless children. We are coding the data now, but I can tell you by the blank spaces or the four word statements, "There is no plan," we didn't think of these students at the start of the pandemic---across all participants' countries. Did they benefit from online learning pre-Covid? I know there were instances for homebound and incarcerated students. But these students are not the only members described in a vulnerable population portrait. The paper we are writing will hopefully call attention to this.
ReplyDelete